Repairs, reprays, rebuilds,
here are some examples:
Modification of a Gibson flying
This was my most recent job for Rudolf Schenker. Fitted
a FloydRose, a Fernandez Sustainer, inlays,
Musclebucker pickup and done
(click on the picture to
refret of an old 50´ LesPaul
This is an advanced version of my
fretjobs,note that the new frets have the
exact same lenght as the old ones
to keep the original feel of the bindings.
Also the actual fretboard didn´t get touched, even the old dirt of the
fingers still remains.
(click on the picture to
Bridge restauration of an old Gibson
The original bridge was very warped and cracked so I
had to make a new one,
using the old inlays and tune-o-matic bridge. the brass
bushings in the top were all loose and had to get
One of the bolds was missing, I made a new one and
nickel-plated it. This job made a HUGE sound improvment.
see the old bridge in the background, click on the
picture to supersize
Restauration / modification of an old Höfner
The body and neck got resprayed, the neck refretted,
fitted new TOM bridge and stop tailpiece,
new machineheads, bone nut, new pickguard and controls,
the pickups got anti-feedback treated
Repair of Richie Sambora´s Taylor
The old pickups and preamp were broken and outdated so I
had to fit new ones.
This was pretty tricky as I had to use 2 preamps
(L.R.Baggs). Everything was highly sensitiv to hum.
Thats why I fitted the electronics into a new housing
covered with MU-metal, the only stuff that really works
preventing hum. A new custommade controlplate using the old
holes got fitted.
testing the new preamps and pickups, in the background the
finally working again (compliments to Mr. Taylor) click on
the picture to supersize
Refret of an old org. LesPaul from 1959
Done the same way as the goldtop on top of the page. The
only difference was that on request of
the customer the frets didn´t get high-polished, but
remained a satin finish.
A very nice lightweight example with a fantastic sound
(org. Bigsby got removed).
Click on the picture to supersize
for a slideshow of this 59´ LesPaul click here
An old german archtop
Completly rebuild, resprayed, neck resetted, trussrod
fitted, new ebony fretboard,
but using the old inlays and bindings. PAF testpair
Bigsby fitted, new machine heads, NOS Pickguard,
anti-feedback treated, owned by Carl Carlton
Broken headstock repair
This broken headstock was repaired by somebody
else. Unfortunatly it didn´t work out properly.
When moving the headstock by hand it felt like rubber.
Because of the old glue from the first repair
the new glue couldn´t penetrate the wood as it should have.
My solution: strenghten the crack
with carbon fibre strips:
and after a bit of touch-up:
now it is solid as a rock, and the sound is much
With this method I can fix even very complicated headstock
Restauration of an old DeArmond pickup
I wondered how they got the wire onto the bobbin, it´s made
So I had to make a new bobbin. It´s got a very interesting
where they force the magnetic field into certain directions
by the use of "sword"-shape soft iron.
A very good sounding pickup, also with brass
Click on the picture for a slideshow.
Making a hole disappear
Somebody thought it was a good idea to drill a
hole through the headstock of this 72´ Tele
to hang it up on the wall. Putting just a piece of
wood into the hole didn´t look right.
Respray of an old Telecaster body "aged"
Click on the picture to supersize.
Super 400 Modification
A previous owner installed PAFs into this originally
non-electric Gibson Super 400.
To do this he did cut through both braces. As a result the
top felt like a trampolin, the guitar was impossible to tune
and didn´t sound at all. I rebuild the braces (used carbon
as well again) and plugged the holes with matching spruce.
Todays owner ordered a 50´ type modification to P-90
pickups (a Scotty Moore Fan).
Those got mounted with a minimun of wood removal. The
result: big sound, stays in tune.
RESTAURATION OF AN OLD CLASSICAL
Have a look inside the soundhole. It has the most unusual
bracing I´ve ever seen.
This 1964 "Del Veggio" masterpiece looked as if it came
straight out of the wastebin.
Nearly all gluejoints were loose, as was the top, back and
laquer. There were many cracks and a
twisted neck, the bridge was loose as well. It was
more work than building a new one,
but the result was amazing. The finish is shellac
french-polished. This was the best sounding gut string guitar I ever
Click on the picture to find out more
Re-topping of an acoustic EKO fretless bass
I repaired this bass in the 80`s. Back then acoustic basses
were very rare, so it was worth doing it.
Click on the picture for more
VOX Marauder rebuild
one day a customer gave me an old VOX neck and a cigarbox
with some sort of electronics, pots, many switches
and two pickup coils. He wanted me to build it back
into an Marauder. I knew an VOX collector who gave me
an original Marauder so I could take measurements and
compare the wiring.
So I had to make a new body, pickguard and tremolo (with
needle bearings) plus fit the diagonal stripes into
the block inlays and a refret. The customer supplied the
custom-made pickup covers.
Here is the result - and every button works (some crazy
sounds). Click on the picture to supersize
Gene Vincent´s guitar urgently needs a repair